A press kit is a folder of information to give reporters background information about the campaign issue and key message(s). If a press kit is beyond the campaign budget, a quality press release will do.
Your press kit should contain the following, kept neatly in a folder:
- A press release
- A list of press conference participants/speakers
- Background information about the issue (e.g., statistics, case histories, or reprints of news stories)
- A few black & white glossy photographs if available (action photos are most interesting)
- Short (less than a page) biographies of participants/speakers
- Related news stories from prestigious national publications if any